Poly’s Blog Christmas

Posted by:

This Christmas, deck the Halls with Bows of Holly… Or maybe you shouldn’t?!?

I had no idea of the dangers lurking in the beautiful decorations humans put up in their homes to celebrate the season.

Turns out that holly berries are among several Christmas plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. And so are Mistletoe and Poinsettia and Amaryllis. And the oil in pine needles can irritate your pet’s mouth and stomach when chewed.

If you have a live tree, be careful with the little packages of ‘tree food’ that you are supposed to add to the water. Guess what – that stuff is supposed to be kept out of the reach of pets and children, too.

Everybody knows that broken ornaments can cause cuts on your hands and in your dog’s mouth, but I just heard that broken snow globes are dangerous also. Some of the imported ones are actually filled with sweet-tasting antifreeze that can be deadly if ingested even in small amounts.

And I haven’t even mentioned chocolate and alcohol yet…

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) published this cute infographic to help you keep your furry children safe during the holidays.

IMG_1572

Just in case your pets do get into something they shouldn’t and you need advice here are the numbers to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control hotline (888) 426-4435 and the Pet Poison Helpline (855) 764-7661. Both require a credit card when you call.

I myself will stay away from anything green and let my human coworkers enjoy the chocolates and cookies our wonderful clients have been dropping off at the hospital. You never know, maybe somebody will share some bits of turkey breast with me.

But, most of all, my human friends and I want to wish you and your families a safe and joyful Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and a Joyous Kwanzaa.

0
AAH Staff

About the Author:

Add a Comment