Poly on Peanut Butter

Posted by:

Peanut Butter apparently is one of most dogs’ favorite treats. My sometime office mate Myrtle, the Corgi mix, can chew on a peanut butter stuffed bone for hours. She actually gets rather irritated when I get anywhere near her treat – as if any cat could understand the appeal of something brown and gooey that sticks to the top of your mouth and your paws.

But when I overheard the human office mates talk about an issue with some of the fancier brands of peanut butter, I decided it may be worth to pass on the information.

Apparently, a few peanut butter brands started replacing the sugar or molasses in their product with Xylitol.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is perfectly safe for human consumption but can be highly toxic to dogs.

Ingesting even very small amounts can cause a dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar (hypoglycemia), staggering, being disoriented, collapse, seizures, liver failure, and even death.

If you like to reward your dog with an occasional peanut butter treat or use it to hide pills when your dog needs to take  medications, please check the ingredient listing on the jar and reserve any product that contains Xylitol, which can also be found in chewing gum and candy, for human consumption only.

If your dog accidentally ingests Xylitol, please contact your veterinarian immediately. You can also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Hotline (888-426-4435) or go to their website ( www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control) for more information (charges may apply for using this service).

 

Office buddies

Office buddies

I guess, I’ll be a good friend to Myrtle and hide her nasty bone under a shelf in the office. She can chew on a different toy for now, and if she doesn’t annoy me too much today, I will share some of my tasty, crunchy, and non-sticky cat treats with her.

0
AAH Staff

About the Author:

Add a Comment